What is Active NameNode

One of two name nodes in HDFS HA framework that accepts and processing client requests.

Other related questions:
Rival to the MacroSAN active-active solution
MacroSAN active-active solution realizes disaster recovery switchover at the application level by adopting the storage remote replication feature (synchronous/asynchronous), third-party arbitration, and multipathing software equipped in the host OS. Huawei’s active-active solution has the following countermeasures: 1. MacroSAN active-active solution is asymmetric, and the system works in active/standby mode. I/Os of the standby site are forwarded to the active site. In essence, the solution uses the volume mirror. The active-active solutions of other vendors and Huawei are symmetric. There is no active/standby site and I/O requests are processed at both sites. 2. MacroSAN active-active solution has distance limitation. In this solution, devices are mirrored by 10GE links. The high latency does not allow the distance between sites to be longer than 10 km. However, Huawei active-active solution allows the distance between two sites to be 100 km.

Dual-controller active-active mode
Dual-controller active-active mode (also called as the active-active working mode): Both controllers are simultaneously active and concurrently process I/O requests initiated by application. If one controller fails or becomes offline, the other takes over services without affecting its own services. The active-active mode ensures robust system reliability using controller redundancy. In addition, this mode provides advantages, such as balancing service load, boosting system performance, and improving resource utilization.

If you have more questions, you can seek help from following ways:
To iKnow To Live Chat
Scroll to top