Must I Stop the ECS Before Restoring EVS Disk Data with a VBS Backup?

Yes, you must stop the ECS to which the EVS disk is attached and detach the EVS disk from the ECS before restoring the EVS disk data using a VBS backup. After the EVS disk data is restored, attach the EVS disk to the ECS and start the ECS.

Other related questions:
Must I Stop the ECS Before Backing Up EVS Disks on an ECS Using VBS?

VBS can back up EVS disks that are in use. When an ECS is running properly, data is written onto EVS disks of the ECS, and some newly generated data is stored in the ECS memory as cached data. During EVS disk backup, the data in the memory will not be automatically written onto EVS disks, resulting in data inconsistency between EVS disks and their backups.

To ensure data integrity, back up EVS disks during off-peak hours when no data write operations are being performed on the EVS disks. Alternatively, suspend all data write operations and stop the application systems before initiating a backup job. For an extreme requirement for data integrity, stop the ECS (for cached data to be written into EVS disks) and start an offline backup job.

Should I Stop the ECS Before Creating a Private Image Using that ECS?

You must stop the ECS when creating a private image using that ECS. If the ECS is running, the ECS memory may buffer data to be read, which may result in data loss in the created image. To prevent this issue, stop the ECS before creating an image.

Does VBS Support Simultaneous Backup of Multiple EVS Disks on an ECS?

Yes. You can create a backup policy and associate the backup policy with multiple EVS disks. Then the backup policy can be executed to back up the multiple EVS disks at the same time. Note that the EVS disks must have the same AZ with the associated backup policy.

Can I Use a VBS Backup to Restore an EVS Disk Whose Capacity Has Been Expanded?

Yes. If you back up an EVS disk using VBS and later expand the capacity of the EVS disk, you can still use the VBS backup to restore the EVS disk. However, the capacity of the restored EVS disk reverts to the original value due to file system restrictions. To avoid this, create a VBS backup for the EVS disk after expanding its capacity.

If you have more questions, you can seek help from following ways:
To iKnow To Live Chat
Scroll to top