Whether OceanStor 9000 requires RAID groups and LUNs

RAID groups and LUNs are not required by OceanStor 9000 because it is a distributed file system for big data based on all x86 servers. The entire cluster is a big file system (root directory) where subdirectories and shares can be directly created to use storage space.

Other related questions:
Creation of RAID groups and LUNs not required on the OceanStor 9000 online lab
RAID groups and LUNs are not required by the OceanStor 9000 online lab. Different from traditional cluster storage or array storage devices, OceanStor 9000 provides disk arrays on the back end as a distributed file system for big data based on all x86 servers. The entire cluster is a big file system (root directory) where subdirectories and shares can be directly created to use storage space.

Whether OceanStor 9000 network RAID groups have larger I/O latency than traditional local RAID groups
OceanStor 9000 network RAID groups have impact on latency and performance. The latency caused by network communications is smaller than disk I/O latency. To address this issue, a non-volatile dual in-line memory module (NVDIMM) is installed on OceanStor 9000, returning data to upper-layer applications when the data is written into the NVDIMM module. Therefore, the latency that occurs during upper-layer services is caused by the returning of data after written into the NVDIMM and will not be larger than that of traditional local RAID groups. OceanStor 9000 uses a complex prefetch algorithm for data reading. When a service accesses data, basic sequential I/Os can be accessed in the memory. Also, OceanStor 9000 provides a global cache function, which guarantees the reading latency of sequential I/Os.

Whether OceanStor T Series RAID groups can be expanded
1. On OceanStor T Series V100R005 storage systems, you can add disks to the original RAID group online. 2. The traditional capacity expansion is implemented by creating more RAID groups. In this case, the complexity of managing storage resources increases when capacity expansion becomes frequent. The dynamic RAID group expansion is to add new disks to the target RAID group, and instruct the storage device to incorporate the capacity of those disks arranged in a unified stripe depth with the LUNs in the RAID group. This method can increase the storage capacity without changing the number and configuration of RAID groups.

Whether the OceanStor 9000 InfoTier feature requires a license
InforTier is an optional feature of OceanStor 9000. A license is required for this feature. If the license is unavailable, an administrator cannot set file pool policies and therefore the OceanStor 9000 will only be able to manage storage tier CONFIGURE but not automatically migrate files.

If you have more questions, you can seek help from following ways:
To iKnow To Live Chat
Scroll to top