Method used to identify the cause of a damaged file system in the Linux host

You can locate the cause of a damaged file system as follows:
1. Issue Description
How can I identify the cause of a damaged file system in the Linux host?
2. Solution
Fault location and rectification
If a damaged file system is caused by the operating system, rectify the problem on the operating system side.
If a damaged file system is caused by storage disks, rectify the problem on the storage side.
Other causes lead to a damaged file system.
Solution:
a. If the damaged file system is located in interactive personality TV (IPTV), the following information is displayed.
Enter the storage directory. Failures such as input out error are displayed or a file system fails to be mounted (you must ensure proper mapping of LUNs and disks added to hosts by the storage system).
b. The damaged file system is caused by an operating system failure.
Check host logs by going to the /var/log directory and searching for compressed log packages about message (search the latest message log first).
Search keyword err in host logs to check whether the following information is displayed (XFS is used as an example).
Feb 18 16:19:01 WX-BY-HMU2 kernel: XFS internal error XFS_WANT_CORRUPTED_GOTO at line 4534 of file fs/xfs/xfs_bmap.c. Caller 0xffffffff882c4f9c
If a internal error is found in the host logs, the error is caused by an operating system failure.
Solution: Consult the relevant operating system personnel for troubleshooting. You can refer to maintenance documentation.
3. The damage file system is caused by failures on the storage side.
Check host logs by going to the /var/log directory and searching for compressed log packages about message (search the latest message log first).
Search keyword err in host logs to check whether the following information is displayed (XFS is used as an example).
Dec 7 15:03:00 gdby2-hms01 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 2093665280
If an I/O error is found in host logs, the error is caused by a disk fault in the storage system or a link fault between the host and the storage.
Solution: You can contact the storage R&D personnel for help.
4. Other Causes
The damaged file system is caused by powering on and restarting hosts and storage arrays after abnormal power-off.
The damaged file system is caused by transmission medium fault, such as fiber and cable damage, and data transmission link recovery from disconnection.
The above scenarios may result in failed I/O delivering on the host and then a file system failure.
Solution: Refer to maintenance documentation.

Scroll to top